Some people think a social media influencer has a gazillion followers or a multi-million dollar recording deal. General Assembly Austin presented a panel on June 12th called “Cashing in on Influence: Tapping into the Power of Influencers to Grow a Brand” that not only busted myths like that but also gave plenty of tips for growing and leveraging a social media following.
The panelists described ways to raise your game on social media (mainly, in this case, Instagram). The main questions of the evening revolved around ‘how do I connect with businesses and brands to create a side hustle, and even a main hustle?’
GA ATX and Planoly definitely picked the right group to answer those questions. The panel, moderated by Priscilla of @Planoly, included: Evelyn – @evelynfromtheinternets; Jules – @OmAndTheCity; Ruchi – @theaccidentalchic; and Mairin of @HomeAway.
Here are some of the top take-aways from the presentation:
- Stay true to your purpose and mission (if your IG is about style, keep it about style);
- There is no substitute for quality content;
- Do as much A/B testing as possible;
- Though the number of followers you have is important, so is engagement rate;
- Build relationships (with businesses, your followers and other influencers);
- Engage (have conversations);
- Have patience (things may not take off right away).