Erica Ekwurzel – Presenting at the Texas Grants Resource Center
On June 8th, 2018, The Texas Grants Resource Center’s Nonprofit Partner series featured Developing Donor Relationships with Family & Private Foundations, presented by Erica V. Ekwurzel, CFRE. Erica shared tips from her experience leading and supporting family and private grantmakers.
Here are some of the top take-aways from the TGRC session:
- When it comes to applying for grants – don’t do “mission drift.” Don’t lose sight of your mission by chasing grant funding that reflects the ideas of others;
- Review and proofread all applications;
- If you know one foundation…well, you know one foundation.
- Make sure that the application you send is purposeful and intentional;
- Have data to support your proposal.
For more information on presentations by the Texas Grants Resource Center, visit Texasgrc.org.
The Texas Grants Resource Center’s May presentation was all about getting the best out of your nonprofit board. Long-time nonprofit consultant Tara Levy shared the top tips for leveraging your board to support your organization’s mission.
Tara is an experienced trainer and consultant on nonprofit leadership and management, including a decade assisting nonprofits at Mission Capital before launching her independent practice (Tara Levy Nonprofit Consulting). She has served nonprofits as a staff member, board member, and volunteer.
Here are just a few of Tara’s tips on board relations:
- Mentor new board members (pair new members up with established members);
- Have an annual board self-evaluation;
- Do board succession planning (for example: consider having an Incoming Board President position);
- Connect and enjoy each other as a team.
The TGRC provides events that will uplift, educate and connect in ways that make Austin’s nonprofit community even stronger. This program furthers the mission of the University of Texas at Austin’s Division of Diversity and Community Engagement (DDCE). The DDCE’s Community Engagement Center (CEC) houses this program.